November 23, 2014

Brewing Passion Ever Since the Fifties :蜂大咖啡 (Fong Da Coffee)

It had been a whole 4 years since I last visited Taiwan (and imagine how noob was I then, because I followed the tour group with my parents).
And now, I realised being on a Free & Easy trip would be so much more interesting and exciting.
You can get to visit places you want to go! (just plan ahead well)
Alrighties, folks, do expect the next few posts to be on Taiwan ya?
Just to share some foodie scenes I've seen there that are different from the ones here in Singapore. ^^
...
Located at the heart of the populous Ximending area (alight at Ximen Station,Exit 6), Fong Da Coffee is definitely a must go if you are looking for a place to settle breakfast. 
It is established in 1956 and yes I've made the calculation for you guys. (Fong Da is currently 58 years old!)
It was also one of the original coffee shops that could be found here in Taipei.
Hence, imagine the amount of passion brewing over the years!
Don't miss out this signboard!
And waaalaa~ here we are!
 At first, I thought it was a Chinese pharmacy/herb type of store like those you see here in Singapore.
It looks exactly so right?
It was until I stepped one bit further that I found the hidden gem.
Tons of coffee related equipment/apparatus, coffee beans and pots/containers could be found even at the side of the store.
If you are keen on traditional pastries, you may also consider purchasing these to accompany your cuppa while you are at the cafe area/take-away.
I am making a guess that this is their signature Fong Da drip coffee equipment(?)
It looks really ancient and it is still operating by the way.
Sooo, am I right?
Hmmm...
A little retail area where the coffee lovers could choose one of these babies and bring one home to start brewing right away!
Coffee Beans for sale!
There are many more options available!
The aroma of coffee beans could just literally fill the whole street.(ha! exaggerating once again)
But undeniably the fragrance of coffee really enhanced my desire to get my caffeine fix.
We were seated at a two-seater table where the waitress DIDN'T show us to.
So I thought I could choose any table to sit at. LOL
Well, that's not the case.
Do take note that the service here wasn't as friendly as I expected it to be.
I didn't make a huge fuss as my soul was already 95% dragged along in the air with the aroma.
Restrooms provided as well!
Sorry guys, being wayyy too excited I only took part of the menu (although most of the beverages are here).
Breakfast items are very limited, only ham, eggs and toast are served.
Ham & Egg Toast (120TWD ~S$5)
A well-done egg and ham sandwiched between slices of crispy toast, a perfect combination for breakfast, don't you think so?
Sunny Side Ups & Ham (80TWD ~S$3.50)
How about a smiley face to start your day?
Hazelnut Cappuccino (120TWD ~S$5).
I simply love anything that has hazelnut in it. 
This also meant that I have slightly higher expectations when it comes to the flavour.
Well, I must say I am really impressed by this cup.
The hazelnut is not only dense but it still keeps the cappuccino at its balance, which means I can have the best of both worlds without one overpowering the other.
Mister ordered his daily fix of Mocha Coffee (TWD 85~S$3.70), the one beside my Hazelnut Cappuccino.
It was super awesome!
Even though I love my cuppa, I couldn't resist but taking a few (okay,maybe a little bit more) sips to satisfy my cravings that built up almost instantly. 
Mister's Mocha Frappe (TWD120 ~S$5).
Fret not, we didn't have two cups of coffee a day.
We paid two separate visits and therefore explains the consumption. Hee.
Chocolate rice sprinkled on top for visuals, the frappe was super shiok just like how Mister loves it.
However, due to the fact that the weather in Taipei was around 20 degrees in the morning, and we had the iced coffee, we froze after every sip we took.
I went ahead for the signature F.D Iced Coffee (TWD85 ~S$3.70).
Ohmygoodness, if you love black coffee alot, then you would definitely fall in love with this thick brew they had.
I couldn't quite handle the aftertaste, so I added almost 5 teaspoons of sugar and 2 milk capsules while I waited for the ice to melt a little.
Overall, I guess the coffee here are undoubtedly one of the best coffee spots in Taipei.
I had also noticed that there were an equal amount of foreigners and locals at the tables around us.
Fyi, weekends can be quite packed, so do head down earlier because as the saying goes - The early bird catches the worm.
Till the next post, folks!
...
N.42, Chengdu Road
Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
(Nearest station : Ximen Station, Exit 6)
Breakfast : 8am - 11am

No comments:

Post a Comment