February 17, 2015

Potato Head Folk : A Whimsical Portal To Art & Food

You can never miss this iconic four-storey building if you happen to walk along Keong Saik Road.
With its simple red lining against the white paint of the main building, it is no doubt why this is such a good spot to open up a cafe.
The building has this chinese name, "Dong Ya" which was previously the Tong Ah Eating House that serves traditional kaya toast and good kopi.
Although it's a pity that Tong Ah Eating House was being forced to move, the Potato Head Folk Group still managed to keep that signature signage which gives off a really unique vibe.
Why?
Because the concept is somewhat a fusion and I think it fitted well unto the whole theme.
Read on!
Three Buns is at the first level of al-fresco dining which charges no service charge.
Just be prepared to brave the heat if you are going in the afternoon!
I know many will be confused just as I were when I tried to figure out the name of this place.
Here is a breakdown of the four-storeys in the building, Potato Head Folk.
Level 1: Three Buns Bistro aka "The Kitchen".
Level 2 : Three Buns Restaurant aka "The Dining Room".
Level 3 : Studio 1939 Lounge aka "The Private Lounge".
Level 4 : Rooftop Garden aka "The Rooftop Bar".
Anyway, we weren't 'warriors' so we decided to head up to the 2nd level for some comfortable air-conditioning.
#firstworldproblems
And I must say, I really really love the interior of the restaurant!
It's so beautiful, every little corner has an artwork that decors the whole place up like magic.
It seemed that we have stepped into this portal designed by David Bromley (an Australian artist).
If anyone of you went to Artstage 2015 this year, you might have spotted some of his artworks as well!
I love eccentric, bold and colorful pieces of visual altogether.
WARNING : THIS POST CONTAINS A HEAVY SPAM OF PHOTOS
WARNING : THIS POST CONTAINS A HEAVY SPAM OF PHOTOS
WARNING : THIS POST CONTAINS A HEAVY SPAM OF PHOTOS
Ha!
And here we are at level 2!
Interesting sight eh?
I totally fell in love with it.
This set of pillows subtly brought out the fusion theme that it is trying to put across.
And of course, the wooden furniture adds on to the mood.
I am telling you every corner is just too photo-worthy.
I couldn't resist all these snaps.
A peek back to reality.
Click for a clearer version of the Three Buns Menu!
TA-DAH, finally food is here!
House Fries ($5)
Very crispy and rich in content!
Dizzy Rascals ($15) for le foodie partner who didn't want a filled tummy so she chose a Kids' burger!
Guess the portion worked just fine for her!
The burger contains a 100g beef patty, cheese, onion relish, & double "Notorious T.O.M Sauce" in a demi brioche bun.
According to her, it was really really delicious!
And here is my Honky Tonk ($19), which I chose because I don't do beef and lamb.
Photo credit : Cass
A really flavorful burger which consists of the buttermilk fried chicken, coleslaw, lettuce, "Big Poppa Hot Sauce"& den miso mayo!
The burst of excitement in my mouth was unimaginable.
Got free stickers for her!
hahaha!
After we had our fill, we decided to follow the pretty tile flooring leading up...
Bunny!
I have no idea why but I love this painting here!
And more artworks along the journey~
I look like a hobbit standing in front of the giant door!
I guess this is the only door that leads you to the "The Private Lounge", Studio 1939.
Interesting eh?
And the final door to the rooftop!
The building holds a surprise center awaiting your arrival!
Even the bamboo blinds are nice.
Art vs Food, how would you rate this?
For me, it's a bonus!
I love to be surrounded by pretty things and of course, delicious food! ^^
...
36 Keong Saik Road 
Singapore 089143
Tues - Sun : 11am - Midnight
(Take note of last food order timing)
--------------------
Tel : +65 6327 1939 (Reservations only for Studio 1939)

No comments:

Post a Comment